45 S. Park Blvd., Suite 200, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137

Free Consultationphone630-474-0925

Habla Espanol

DuPage County Divorce Lawyer for College Expenses

Carol Stream college expenses attorney

Attorneys Helping Parents Address Children's College Education Costs in Wheaton and Glen Ellyn

Getting a divorce can cause a great deal of upheaval in your life, and it can also affect your children for years to come. One issue that may not be immediately obvious at the time of divorce is how your children will be able to afford a college education. If you had remained married, you and your spouse may have agreed to save money to help your children go to college, or you may have planned to set aside some of your income to assist with tuition or other costs. Once you are divorced, the two of you may no longer agree on how you will address these issues, and you may be concerned about the opportunities your children will be able to pursue once they reach adulthood. You should be aware that as divorced parents, you and your ex may be required to provide your child with financial assistance as they pursue a college education.

When addressing college expenses, child support, and other financial issues, the skilled divorce lawyers of NN Legal Group can offer practical advice and experienced legal guidance. We will explain how Illinois law applies to you, and we will make sure you have the information you need to make the right decisions as you work to complete the divorce process. Attorney Nicolas Nelson brings more than 12 years of legal experience to family law cases, and he can help you take the right steps to reach a positive outcome to your situation.

College Expenses and Non-Minor Support

Parents' child support obligations end when a child turns 18 or receives their high school diploma. However, parents may then be required to provide "non-minor support" and assist with educational expenses that will allow the child to attend college. Parents may be able to reach an agreement about how they will contribute to these costs, or a family court judge may order one or both parents to pay non-minor support using the income they earn or the property they own. When determining the amount that parents should contribute, factors that may be considered include each parent's current and future financial resources, other financial resources that the child may use to pay for college expenses, and the standard of living that the child would have enjoyed if the parents had not divorced.

Expenses that parents may be required to assist with include:

  • Tuition and fees, with the maximum amount that a parent will be required to pay being the amount of in-state tuition at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for the same school year.
  • Housing expenses, with the maximum amount that a parent will be required to pay being the costs of room and board at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for the same school year, based on the amount paid for a room at a residence hall and a standard meal plan.
  • Medical expenses, including health and dental insurance.
  • Reasonable living expenses, including the costs of food, utilities, and transportation if the child will be living with a parent while attending college.
  • Books and any other required educational supplies.
  • Applications fees for a maximum of five college applications.
  • Two standardized college entrance exams.
  • One standardized exam preparation course.

When contributing toward these expenses, a parent may be required to make payments directly to the child, to the other parent, or to a college or educational institution. If necessary, the court may require parents to transfer funds to a special account or trust used to address these needs. Parents will be required to provide non-minor support until the child graduates and receives a bachelor's degree. These obligations will end once the child turns 23 years old (or 25, if there is good cause to extend the duration of support) or gets married. If the child fails to maintain a cumulative grade point average equivalent to a "C" grade, parents' support obligations may be terminated.

Contact Our Glen Ellyn Non-Minor Support Lawyers

During or after your divorce, NN Legal Group can help you address your child's college expenses while making sure you will have the financial resources to support yourself. We will make sure you understand your rights and requirements, and we will help you protect your child's best interests at all times. Contact us at 630-474-0925 to schedule a free consultation with our attorneys. We help clients address divorce and family law issues in Glen Ellyn, Lombard, Villa Park, Wheaton, Glendale Heights, Carol Stream, Bloomingdale, Addison, and DuPage County. Hablamos Español.

Back to Top